A Few Example Posts:

  • "The End of Faith: A Short Response to Sam Harris"
  • See also:
  • "A Long Response to Sam Harris' The End of Faith, by Neil Shenvi"

  • "Is John Piper the Best Answer to Emergence and Postmodernism?"

  • "Captured"

  • "The Storm is Over"

  • "If Golfing Were the Pursuit of Moral Perfection"

  • 12.27.2005

    Christmas, Chick-Fil-A, and Something Lost



    The Christmas season was another great time with family, gifts, and--most of all--thoughts and affections centered on Christ.

    Christmas morning, we had our own family gift exchange with the children and the reading of the Luke 2 account of Christ's birth. We then drove over to Ruth's folks for time with extended family. On the way over, I noticed how empty the roads were. Businesses were closed. All was quiet. I saw two other cars on a highway that usually swarms with vehicles.

    I liked it.

    I like how Christmas pretty much shuts everything down.

    Each year I'm reminded that the quietness of Christmas was, for the most part, the way every Sunday was--years ago. I don't remember it in my lifetime, but older folks will tell us that everything pretty much shut down on Sunday.

    Because of what such a phenomenon in society would indicate, I find myself wishing for that Sunday quiet again.

    I know--and am a defender of--the idea that days are to be regarded by the individual conscience of the believer (Romans 14). But I still have to honor what a business like Chick-Fil-A does each Sunday: Close Up Shop.

    Everything changes, people say. But not always for the better. Sometimes good things get lost.

    4 Comments:

    At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    thats what I think, everything changes but not for the best :(
    we have lost some good stuff!
    hey John hope you have a very blessed New Year!! ;)
    janice

     
    At 10:54 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

    I am glad you had a nice Christmas.

    God Bless

    Matthew

     
    At 6:21 PM, Blogger Joe said...

    Three cheers for Chick-fil-A!

    I have this feeling that exactly the same amount of product could be bought by exactly the same people if every retailer closed on Sundays.

    But don't hole your breath.

     
    At 10:49 AM, Blogger Rose~ said...

    I'm with you, JRush!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home