A Few Example Posts:

  • "The End of Faith: A Short Response to Sam Harris"
  • See also:
  • "A Long Response to Sam Harris' The End of Faith, by Neil Shenvi"

  • "Is John Piper the Best Answer to Emergence and Postmodernism?"

  • "Captured"

  • "The Storm is Over"

  • "If Golfing Were the Pursuit of Moral Perfection"

  • 11.17.2005

    They're At It Again



    I wanted to write about this little controversy over The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis when I first heard of it; however, Gene Edward Veith has done a much better job here.

    It seems that secularists want to restrict young minds, once again, from the freedom of expression in literature. Honestly, I see secularism as a force of repression and ignorance in its own right. It seems like some, if they had their way, would take all the color out of the world.

    9 Comments:

    At 11:12 AM, Blogger Rose~ said...

    Yes, they are such "party-poopers"!

    (I know that is not the best choice of words ... because it is not a "party" ... but the phrase reminds me of their insistence on trying to spoil truly refreshing things).

     
    At 11:24 AM, Blogger John R. said...

    Rose,

    I struggle sometimes between being upset at secularists and feeling sorry for them.

    I do fear secularism. It has had a bloody history.

    JRush

     
    At 11:25 AM, Blogger John R. said...

    Not that all secularists are seeking to repeat that history....

    JRush

     
    At 1:34 PM, Blogger Joe said...

    OK...so when have we had enought to make us start screaming out?

     
    At 8:52 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

    Pretty soon it's going to be book burning. I can remember when they were going to burn Huck Finn and they were Christains. Now it's going the other way..End times look up

     
    At 9:25 AM, Blogger John R. said...

    Forgiven,

    I believe the days of book burning are firmly in the past. I have interacted with truly liberal minded secularists who would shudder at such an idea.

    I am not lumping them altogether. But there are forces at work that I am extremely concerned about.

    JRush

     
    At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    John,
    This was my first visit to Anvil and Fire. I really enjoyed looking through all the past entries. I will be back. Keep up the good work!

     
    At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

    Forgiven, you are right to a certain extent - the book burnings are just more sophisticated now. Delet, edit, re-write.

     
    At 4:14 PM, Blogger John R. said...

    Jonathan Moorehead,

    You're right. It is much more sophistaced. Especially concerning history...

    JRush

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home