A Few Example Posts:

  • "The End of Faith: A Short Response to Sam Harris"
  • See also:
  • "A Long Response to Sam Harris' The End of Faith, by Neil Shenvi"

  • "Is John Piper the Best Answer to Emergence and Postmodernism?"

  • "Captured"

  • "The Storm is Over"

  • "If Golfing Were the Pursuit of Moral Perfection"

  • 1.05.2006

    Captured

    I have looked at world religions.
    I have studied politics of the age.
    I am aware of the culture’s hedonism.
    I am sobered by realities of life and death.
    I have read writers past and present.
    I understand the world’s skepticism.
    I hear the world’s anger and distrust.
    I desire a day of peace and rest for all.
    I believe in political freedom.
    I stand for religious liberty.
    I have considered the realms of secularism, atheism, and agnosticism.
    I wonder at the Problem of Evil and Suffering.
    I have studied atheists who have become Christians.
    I have seen Christians who are now atheists.
    I am not satisfied with pat answers.
    I am not eager for foolish hopes.
    I admit my own failings.
    I do not know all the answers.

    Yet, in all these things, I have been captured by Christ.

    He engages a man’s reason--and transcends it.
    He stokes the flame of faith--and tests it.
    He entered man’s suffering--and absorbed it.
    He received the world’s guilt--and cancels it.
    He experienced death--and conquered it.

    He gives clear answers to some.
    He speaks obscure statements to others.
    He is rejected in all times and all places.
    But He will not go away.

    There is evidence to support the Faith--though it is not coercive.
    There is reason for those who will listen.

    He said, “I am the light of the world.”

    16 Comments:

    At 12:53 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

    Good stuff.

     
    At 2:16 PM, Blogger John R. said...

    Thanks Daniel and Dyspraxic.

    JRush

     
    At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    John,what is a pat answer ? :0
    janice

     
    At 2:47 PM, Blogger John R. said...

    Janice:

    By "pat answer" I mean a simplistic, cliched answer to difficult questions... A type of answers we can easily fall into using.

    JRush

     
    At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks, I sure do learn a lot from you, as you can tell I'm not that bright :)
    I will try not to give you ! if I can help it :o
    janice

     
    At 10:24 PM, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

    Very thought-provoking and it made me think, too.

     
    At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    John, this was something. I felt many of the things you were talking about, then you made the statement, "I have been captured by Christ." I wanted to add an "Amen" Thank you for the fresh, honest, authentic approach. It begins and ends with the omnipotent. My faith has found a resting place. Thanks again for this blog spot.

     
    At 11:52 PM, Blogger John R. said...

    saford,

    Do I know you?

    JRush

     
    At 11:43 AM, Blogger Rose~ said...

    Awesome!
    Thank you, JRush.
    Beautiful words.

    Beautiful Word.

     
    At 10:30 AM, Blogger Joe said...

    Woah! That was dynamite! Well written and very good points.

    Thanks!

     
    At 3:13 PM, Blogger Steve Weaver said...

    John,
    Very good!!!

    Su Amigo

     
    At 6:14 AM, Blogger J. Wendell said...

    Hi John,
    humbling thoughts.

    Very poetic, BTW don’t we get our English word for poem from the Greek word ποίημα poiēma? It’s the same word used in Eph. 2:10, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Right?
    If so, then we are His poem, His work of art, His workmanship. See what thoughts you trigger?

    Cheerfully in Christ,
    Brother John

     
    At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Since I would not want to give an unsatisfactory answer (as in pat answer} I will not answer the question of whether you know me. (I think that sentence needs a comma.) Keep the blog stuff comming. We pass it around here.

     
    At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thats fantastic!

    Your Favorite Nephew,
    Dan

     
    At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    GLORY TO GOD! AMEN AND AMEN!

    Baby Brother, I marvel at the gift God has given you!

    lots of love always,

    s

     
    At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello my favorite uncle John! Great stuff. Now that we have our computer back in order I can read more of your writings. I just want to remind your other nephew that "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18

    Humbly In Christ,

    David

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home