A Few Example Posts:

  • "The End of Faith: A Short Response to Sam Harris"
  • See also:
  • "A Long Response to Sam Harris' The End of Faith, by Neil Shenvi"

  • "Is John Piper the Best Answer to Emergence and Postmodernism?"

  • "Captured"

  • "The Storm is Over"

  • "If Golfing Were the Pursuit of Moral Perfection"

  • 10.04.2005

    The Storm Is Over



    The Storm is Over (Thoughts on the Doctrine of Propitiation), by John Rush

    I had gone away. I strayed off.
    Home and safety and warmth of love
    Were nowhere in sight. My dark path
    Split and split again, and above
    Me rolled the distant clap of wrath
    From Heaven.

    He was angry, but He was right.
    Criminal, Rebel, Fugitive
    Were my names. And in the true sight
    Of God, I had no right to live.
    I tried to run, and found no light
    From Heaven.

    His wrath raged. His glory thundered.
    Flashing fury burst and vanished.
    Faltering, fleeing, I pondered
    My soul’s lost state. I was banished
    From Him. Alone, I now wandered
    From Heaven.

    He was upon me now. Judgment
    Rained around me. Holy, pure, white,
    God came. I knew this surely meant
    My end was near--eternal night.
    I fell. He spoke. The verdict sent
    From Heaven.

    I raised my hands to stop the gale
    By works, effort, and religion.
    But my striving was sure to fail.
    Too sinful was my condition!
    His judgment continued to hail
    From Heaven.

    But, through the flashes, I could view
    A crucified and bleeding Form
    Raising His two hands. Then I knew
    That only He could calm the storm
    That crashed, and fell, and justly flew
    From Heaven.

    “Peace be still!” I could hear Him say.
    “It is Finished!” I heard Him cry.
    Only the Son of God could pay
    My sin debt. And now I see why
    He is the Life, the Truth, and Way
    To Heaven.

    I knelt down with great hope and fear,
    In repentance and faith to trust
    Him only. God’s great love came near
    To make me live--to make me just.
    My sins are gone. My way is clear
    To Heaven.

    His storm broke up and rolled away.
    Each day, in Christ, I now abide.
    Above me is the clear, blue day.
    I know His wrath is satisfied.
    Secure in Christ, I’m on my way
    To Heaven.

    The Storm is over.

    5 Comments:

    At 11:31 AM, Blogger Steve Weaver said...

    Excellent poem! I'm satisfied with Christ since God is satisfied with Him!

     
    At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    VEry good indeed John, thank you for sharing it with us!
    jan

     
    At 5:35 PM, Blogger Joe said...

    John, I look at your picture and you just don't look like a person with such a depth of creativity (and I immediately have to admit that I have no idea what that means).

    Nevertheless, that was a powerful piece of work.

    If only we would worry less about the storms we endure here on earth and realize the great work He has done in the calming of the great storm within through Christ.

    Thanks!

     
    At 10:00 PM, Blogger Rose~ said...

    John,
    That was really good. I think you LOOK creative!

     
    At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    John!

    Tremendous! I had no idea you were a poet. Your combination of poetry and theology was outstanding.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home